Wednesday 6 February 2013

My first quilt finish of 2013!

My mum commissioned me for a baby boy quilt and this was quick and easy to put together, using Alexander Henry 2D Zoo fabric in blues and greens with some stripes in co-ordinating RK solids and some white to lighten it up a bit.


For the back mum asked for a soft snuggly feel so I used a flannel sheet from Mothercare coupled with some more of the blue and green solids and I did some simple wavy line quilting.


Then I put together a scrappy binding in all the colours aswell.

 
It measures 43x45 inches.
I apologise for the poor picture quality yet again but I finished it after dark.
 
While you're here may I pick your brains? I use Hobbs Heirloom Premium Cotton Batting, because it's easy for me to get hold of and is reasnoably priced but what wadding do you guys use/recommend? Also i'd like to make a loftier quilt, which waddings are good for loftiness?
 
I'm pleased to report that the flu has been kicked in the butt and although I feel a bit weak and weedy normal service is slowly being resumed.  Thank you for your get well messages, xxx
 
For some reason I honestly thought it was Tuesday today, senior moment? very possibly... but it's not, so i'll be linking up with Lee over at Freshly Pieced, and now I have to try and remember all my WIP's!
WIPWednesday
 
STATS
Completed:
Joshua's baby quilt
 
WIP's:
Central Park Sampler Quilt
Super Mario Quilt
 
To be honest, nothing will be happening with these any time soon....
Kaleidoscope - needs a miracle, divine intervention or similar!
Solids HST Diamond Quilt - needs re-basting as I've changed my mind about the backing fabric!
Black and White King Size Bed Quilt - completed quilt top, partial quilt back
Dresden Plate - partial quilt top
Kids T-shirt Memory Quilt - some t shirts cut....

Finishes this week: 1
New Projects this week: 0
In Progress: 7

Also joining in with Link a Finish Friday
 


8 comments:

Alcea Rosea 31 said...

It's a beautiful quilt, very smart, with crisp lines.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Sweet quilt.
I use Sew Simple cotton batting, but it is not lofty - have a read of the descriptions over at The Village Haberdashery xxx

Allison said...

this is an adorable baby quilt :)
for batting, I use Warm & Natural or Warm & White {both are cotton} I find the Warm products to be thicker and more substancal than Hobbs.

Ida said...

I am using Hobbs 80/20 now. I used to use Warm and White or Warm and Natural. I think the Hobbs is a bit thinner but I have used a double layer on a couple of baby quilts and found that it gave the higher loft I wanted. Hope that helps!

Lyndsey said...

I love you quilt and great fabric. I use warm and natural, Hobbs or sew simple - all 100% cotton. To get a puffier finish I either use a double layer (especially with the Hobbs as it seems thinner) or and 80 /20 cotton /polyester blend. Greetings from wet London. Hope the weather is better in Hampshire

erica said...

I love the simplicity of this quilt! That 2D Zoo is a great print to work with;) Nice finish, Karen!

Sarah Craig said...

I'm so glad you linked up with Whoop Whoop Fridays - your quilt is adorable! Whoop whoop!!

Laura C @ littleandlots said...

Such a cute quilt! I love the solids you picked to go with the AH zoo print. They are so perfect--greens and blues go muddy so easily, but yours have stayed bright and fresh.

I know you are in the UK, and I don't know what brands of batting you have available, but I am a strictly Warm & Natural girl. (I did live in Holland for a year and Hobbs did seem to be the most readily available brand, and whoof so expensive!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...